Thursday, February 10, 2011

Post from Lee - 5:30 PM

It's been a crazy day with Jared.  He would go to sleep and then wake up and keep trying to get out of his bed.  I must have explained to him at least 20 times why he was there and why he couldn't get out of bed.  He is talking well and seems to understand what he is asked and responds accordingly.  He has cried a lot.  Mostly, I think out of frustration of not being able to move about.  I think he still has some post operation/accident delusions.  He asked me to take him outside to pee, because he didn't want to do it in front of anyone (his catheter had been removed earlier today).  When I told him that we were in the hospital, he told me I was lying and that our front yard was behind the curtains.  I pulled the curtains back and pointed to the nurses station.  Jared was very disappointed as he just wanted some privacy.  Although, I'm not certain that our front yard would have given him any!  :)

One of the physical therapists came in and worked him over (moving his arms and legs and stretching them etc.  He was able to get through that pretty well.  We were able to get him moved to a room (#278) with a view (room with a window).  At least now, he'll be able to understand the difference between night and day.

We also just had a visit from a guy who was fitting Jared with a "helmet."  The guy actually had one that was perfect for Jared.  It is made out of some kind of plastic covered foam and kind of looks like a hockey helmet.  I'm sure Jared will hate it as he will have to wear it for two-three months.  The surgeons will not replace the bone they removed from his skull until that time.  I guess it takes quite a while for the brain to shrink back to size.  Jared will have a big soft spot on the left side of his head.  Thus the helmet (to protect him).

Michelle left some time around noon.  I hope she can get some good sleep.  I was actually able to do several work related items today.  It felt very good.

It sounds like we'll be able to have Jared's rehabilitation stay in St. George.  I talked to our insurance company and Dixie Regional (IHC owned) has a rehabilitation center that deals with brain injuries.  We are grateful for this as we should be able to get our life somewhat back to normal (without the traveling) and Jared's friends will be able to visit him.

Thanks again to everyone for your prayers.  We'd also like to thank those who have sent get well cards and wishes.  We truly appreciate your kindness.  There are many kids in here (PICU) that are not doing as well as Jared.  Please keep them in your prayers also.  I'm amazed by the many challenges each of these parents and their kids have to go through.  When all is said and done, I believe we are and have been, very blessed.

Lee

1 comment: