Sunday, February 13, 2011

February 13th - Update

Dr. Ingaroma just informed us that tomorrow they will finally take the neck brace off, remove the NG tube, the central line and they will be removing the staples from his head. Interesting fact: the way that they will be removed is inside the MRI, it acts like a giant magnet that will pull them out.

Jared just read a giant get well card to us. Lee was making a joke using a line from a movie, Jared quickly picked up on it and finished the rest of the line and told us what movie it was from. It was hilarious!

Tomorrow we will meet with a social worker to set up rehab, rides, deal with insurance and finalize plans. Jared will have to be transported by ambulance, because he is still considered critical care.

We have decided that it would probably be better for Jared to be in a facility in Salt Lake. This way friends and family can visit more often, which we think will be therapeutic.

So we wanted to explain a little about Jared's situation:

*When a healthy person lies in bed without moving for five days, you will lose about 30% of your muscle mass.
*When you have a head trauma, are on meds, a ventilator and in a coma for the length of time Jared has been, he will have lost about 80% of his muscle mass. This will have to be recovered through long-term rehabilitation. Which means he will have to learn to walk again.
*He is still having a little trouble with short term memory, we are not sure if this will be permanent or is because his brain is still trying to adjust and re-file everything.

In about six weeks we will have a better idea of the long term effects. We are staying positive, but this is going to be a long road to recovery.

Here's my shout-out to the YW's groups, from the South Pointe and Tooele Wards! Thank you for your letters and testimonies. You are BeAutIfuL DaUghTeRs of our Heavenly Father!

I hope that I may become a better person because of this "character building experience." I am choosing not to use the word trial anymore.

I say my prayers multiple times a day thanking Heavenly Father for our blessings at this time and wonder if that is enough to show my appreciation and love. I think by becoming stronger, remaining faithful and helping to lift others will be my gift of gratitude.

3 comments:

  1. It's so wonderful to be able to read his amazing progress each day.We are so excited that he will be staying in Salt Lake!!!
    We would like to mail a card to Jared. What would be the best address if we put it in the mail tomorrow?
    Tasha Santistevan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, This is wonderful news. I've been "afraid" to post but not afraid to read what is happening. Thank you for helping us grow as we pray and see literal miracles happening each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In church one Sunday the lesson was on trials. The question we were asked was, "Have you thanked your Heavenly Father for your trials?" I thought to my self, Duh, No! Why would I do that. As the lesson progressed and I pondered the points made in the lesson, I learned the value of "trials" and "lessons". It changed my outlook. That night I thanked my Heavenly Father for all my trials. I have been through a lot since then, some very critical and I now have my own neurologist.

    My point, I appreciate what you said in how you are choosing to name what you are going through. This is offically a lesson. What you and all of us learn from it depends on our outlook and what we "name" what we endure.

    Bless you and your outlook. I do not believe bad days, just rough moments. Keep plugging away. You will have to teach me what you learn...please. Keep writing your insights so that we can learn from you. Seriously.

    Luv
    Kendra

    ReplyDelete