Sunday, February 13, 2011

February 13th - Update

It's been an emotional day for everyone. You never know what the day will bring.

Jared has been emotional again today. He started crying at one point saying he was sorry for taking my car, wrecking it and causing so much trouble. How much it hurts watching Jared try to put things back into place.

Lee and I left for a few hours when he was sedated. I wanted some time with Lee, away from the hospital and outside in the sunshine. We went for a short drive to see Red Rock. What a beautiful place. It was nice to be outside in the sunshine.

I had an emotional day, Lee left tonight to go back to St. George. If I end up leaving this week and going back to the Salt Lake area it will be a fast transition. Run to St. George load some clothes and leave. I know this will be best for Jared but I don't want to leave Lee. I' m being a little selfish at the moment.

Around 5:00 pm Jared begins to get restless, agitated and emotional. As I sat with him crying, he pulled my hand up, kissed it and said "I Love You, mom." Around 8:00 he told me he loved me again and wanted a kiss. How sweet and tender. I love you, Jared. He is such a beautiful boy.

Dr. ? (forgot his name), the neurologist came to do a quick assessment. He told me Jared should be further along therapeutically. Jared has two different parts of his brain that are damaged. This explains the weakness in his right arm and trouble with his left leg. The bleeding, however, was on the outside of the cortex. Which is good. They will have more info tomorrow after the MRI.

About twenty minutes later he returned and told me that Jared's delay is due to an overdose of a strong anti-seizure medication (adult strength). He will put him on a milder med starting tomorrow. Anti-seizure meds are needed after a brain trauma because the blood on the brain irritates the nerves and causes seizures. Jared will have to be on the meds for about three months, long enough for the swelling to go down.

Dr. Sharma came in around 8:00 and told the nurse to pull his NG tube tonight at midnight, and remove the central line now. Maybe Jared can get a little more comfortable and I can sleep a little more tonight, not having to stop him from pulling tubes out. I did get a solid four hours last night. It has only taken me two weeks to figure out how to sleep comfortably in a chair! Score, no sore hips tomorrow!

I have received many texts, calls, and articles to read since my post yesterday. Thank you, they have been a big help. I will be passing on info to the other family here that Lee mentioned. They too are frustrated with the lack of answers and information.

I felt guilty and sad yesterday when they stood at the end of the hall watching Jared sit up in a chair. I know they were happy for us, but my heart breaks for them. My prayers continue for them and their son.

I not only forgot the neurologists name but I even forgot Jared's name and who I was. In order to get into PICU, you have to call on a phone, state the patients name and who you are. When the nurse answered the phone, all I could say was uhhh! Lee quickly came to my rescue.

Thank you for your continued support, prayers and kind words.

We love all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment