Saturday, February 26, 2011

Patience is a virtue

I think the lesson I am supposed to learn in this life is patience. I must be a terrible student, or just hard headed.

It's interesting because I have great patience in certain areas, like sitting in a hospital room, but put me on the highway and GET OUT OF MY WAY! I have no patience for traffic. So I'm curious to know how sitting quietly in a hospital room will help me with my driving?

One of the nurses in Vegas told me she thought I had the patience of Job. I wonder why my children have to go through things to help me learn patience, and then I wonder what lessons they need to be learning.

A friend asked me if she could learn the lessons that I am learning vicariously. The answer is yes! When we go through trials and we share them with others, we are doing our job to help others find strength to carry on.

I want to share something a friend put on her blog..."I believe that EVERY SINGLE one of us have a story to tell.  Its at times a devastatingly sad story.  Other times is wonderful,  full of hope and light.  I hope you will share yours with someone.  Its in sharing that we find healing."

Because Mandi shared with me (and others), I found new strength. I discovered that we are not alone in our pain and sorrow. I hope that you will find someone to help you through your challenges. 

I discovered a year ago that I can't ask the question "why me", anymore. Why, because I feel that it harbors anger and frustration, which are tools that the adversary wants us to feel, and it keeps us from progressing.

After some serious challenges in my life, I was ready to "quit, quit everything." As I went to my Bishop and asked for advice he had two simple questions for me: "Are you reading your scriptures? Are you saying your prayers?" No, I was doing neither. Then he asked me "Why not?" I didn't feel worthy.

As I humbled myself and started to do the things that were asked of me, my life changed. I could feel the atonement of my Savior and I could feel his comforting arms wrap around me and buoy me up. In the literal moments of feeling this I recognized that I had to change my question from why, to what am I supposed to learn from this and how do I help others.

My life has changed tremendously in the last year and especially in the last seven months. Trying to sell our home, making a major move, and trying to decide what to do with my life. I felt the prompting to not apply for college on the day I was going to sign up, and getting a job was not right either. Now I know why, I had other things that would need my attention.

I am the type of person that has to have things planned and organized ahead of time. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. That's my motto. Life is not going that way right now, all I can do now is ask what should I be doing and praying for the strength to move forward.

I have been prepared to deal with this new experience in my life. It hasn't been easy, but I have found the strength from my Heavenly Father because of your prayers and mine. I don't know what will be next in my life. All I can do is keep moving forward, finding strength through my trials and continuing to be refined.

A friend sent me a video link about a year ago, it had such an impact on me that it came to my mind when I was driving to Vegas not knowing if my son would be alive or not. It gave me strength to continue forward. It is found on YouTube under My Story - Finding Hope & Strength Through Trials.

I WILL continue to move forward!

Ether 12:27

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

2 comments:

  1. Michelle, You are a beautiful writer. I love how you are able to put your feelings down on paper (or on ipad). Love the posts. What an inspiration you are. Lov you!

    ReplyDelete